Sunday, December 2, 2012

Upavas Thalipeeth with Peanut and Yogurt Chutney Served with Asafoetida spiced butterrmilk

Saturday Brunch


So here comes the weekend and the crazy weekday schedule is replaced by an even crazier weekend schedule. The meal times are usually off by a few hours what with waking up late in the morning, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, grocery shopping along with so many plans of meeting with friends, going out for dinners, birthday parties, going shopping, making weekend getaway trips and so much more. It makes me sing the song from the movie "Wake Up Sid", "La La Life is Crazy". But I enjoy all this craziness. It makes me feel alive. Just like in the song, when he says- "Inhi Rangon mien chhupe saare Khushi ke rang hai", I feel as if this craziness fills my life with bright exotic colors, without which it would have had been merely a blank canvas.

Well, I guess, that's enough of my talk on craziness and let me get back to the main topic of recipes and cooking. Today being a Saturday, as usual we woke up pretty late in the morning and the evening was booked for a birthday party. So instead of posting a dinner menu, I thought of making and posting a menu for a quick brunch. However, I think that this menu can easily be served as a weekday dinner.
 
Once again today, I had to manage with the ingredients that I had in the pantry. So while scouring the pantry for what was available, I came across a packet of Upavas flour. Deep Foods sells this flour at local Indian stores and I had picked up a packet last time I was there, just to try it out. I never got a chance of opening it, and thankfully, today it came to my rescue. I decided on making "Upavas Thalipeeth" with Peanut an Yogurt Chutney. Thalipeeth is sort of a pancake minus all the fluffiness. The texture is a bit chewy mixed with soft and crunchy. I guess I have named all the possible textures here. So you can imagine, it's not really possible to describe the texture in simple terms. I would be happy if any of you could put it in exact words, once you try out the recipe. So, to go with the Thalipeeth and chutney, my Dad suggested to add Asafoetida spiced Buttermilk to complete the menu. So this was what we had for brunch today.

It took me around 45 minutes to cook everything from start to finish as I was using 2 tawas (frying pans) to make them. If you have just one, it might take a bit longer depending on how many you are planning to make. Today, with 500gms of flour, I was able to make 8 medium sized thalipeeths, which were sufficient for 6 of us. So here are the details -

 
Cooking Time : 45-50 minutes
Serves : 6
Kid-O-Meter : 3 out of 5

Photo Courtesy : Kanchan Raste

Recipe

Thalipeeth
 
Ingredients :
 
500gms of Deep Upavas Flour(you can try other brands as well.)
2 medium potatoes
1/2 cup of ground peanuts
2 tspns of red chilli powder
5 tspns of sugar
Chopped cilantro
2tspns of cumin
Salt to taste
Oil for greasing the pan

Directions :

 Mix the flour, chilli powder, ground peanuts, cumin seeds, sugar, salt and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Grate the potatoes along with the skin and add to the mixture. Now slowly start adding water to form a thick dough.  Divide this dough in 8 equal parts and shape them into balls. Lightly grease a frying pan or tawa with oil and start patting one ball at a time on the pan with your palm and fingers to form circle till it reaches a thickness of a pizza base. Make a few holes in this base and add some oil in them. Cover the pan with the lid and put it on the stove on a medium- high setting. Check after 3-5 minutes. Once the thaalipeeth is golden brown on one side, turn it over and cook for a couple of minutes.
 
Peanut and Yogurt Chutney
 
Ingredients :
4 tspns Ground Peanuts
3/4th cup Yogurt
1 tspn Red Chilli Powder
2 tspns Sugar
Salt to Taste
 
Directions :
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and its ready to serve
 
Asafoetida Spiced Buttermilk
 
Ingredients :
4 cups of Chilled Buttermilk
Salt to taste
1/2 tspn of Asafoetida
 
Directions :
Add the salt and asafoetida to the buttermilk and stir till the salt dissolves. Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment